The answer is that neither option is better than the other; the best choice will depend on which one works best for your unique smile.
Should I Choose Invisalign or Braces?
A radiant smile comes from straight teeth and a proper bite, as well as strong oral health. How you achieve a radiant, healthy smile is up to you. Luckily, you have options. If you have been debating between braces or Invisalign, your McMurray Orthodontists at Severns are here to help.
Here is a breakdown of both options:
Braces are made up of a system of metal brackets, wires, and rubber bands. Braces shift your teeth safely by using brackets that are bonded to each of your teeth and connected by a metal wire.
On the other hand, Invisalign works by using a series of plastic aligner trays that are nearly invisible. These trays apply pressure to your teeth where needed to gradually straighten them.
What are the Pros of Braces?
Braces offer patients various benefits, including:
- Braces are the most effective option for more severe or complex dental cases such as back tooth bite issues, severe crowding, and impacted teeth.
- Braces tend to be more affordable and may be completely covered by your insurance for younger patients.
- Braces are bonded to the teeth, providing consistent movement. Since they can’t be removed, there is no temptation to do so. There is also no chance of losing them.
- You do not have to separately maintain trays; you just need to properly care for your teeth while wearing braces.
- You can have fun customizing your braces with different color brackets and rubber bands.
What are the Pros of Invisalign?
Invisalign provides patients with benefits such as:
- Since the aligners are made of clear plastic, they are discreet and practically invisible.
- You can remove them, allowing you to eat and drink freely. You can also remove them to floss and brush like normal.
- You will not experience discomfort from wires or having food stuck in them.
- Invisalign offers a shorter treatment time of 6-18 months rather than two years.
Which Treatment Am I a Candidate for?
If you have a more severe dental case, such as impacted teeth, severe crowding, or back tooth bite issues, Invisalign may not have the grip needed to draw out teeth that have grown in the wrong place in the mouth. With braces, the tension on the brackets when they are pulled by the wire works well to resolve these issues.
Braces provide patients with a maximal grip that can work to re-align even the most severely misaligned teeth. If you have more severe dental issues, it is likely your orthodontist will recommend braces.
Less complex cases can benefit from the predictable and long-lasting results of Invisalign. They are extremely effective in correcting tooth alignment with all-around force being placed across the whole tooth by the aligners. The best way to determine which treatment you are a candidate for is to schedule a consultation with a McMurray orthodontist.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Invisalign or Braces
Now that you have considered the pros and cons of each type of treatment, you may have a better idea of which treatment option is best for you. The main factors to consider are the effectiveness of the treatment and how affordable it is.
When it comes to effectiveness, each treatment is on the same level. Keep in mind that certain dental cases will benefit more from treatment with braces. If your budget is a concern, you will pay less for braces when compared to the cost of Invisalign, depending on what your insurance covers. Braces cost anywhere from $1,700-$6,000, whereas Invisalign costs $2,400-$9,000.
Need Help with Your Orthodontic Treatment Decision?
Call Severns, your McMurray Orthodontists, to help you find the best orthodontic treatment to meet your needs.